Although it is only a trial run, the Chinese authorities have taken a much needed step in the right direction by allowing freedom of capital to migrate in both directions instead of only up. The move is aimed at increasing arbitrage opportunities between the mainland A shares market vs the H shares in Hong Kong.
Short sellers add much needed breadth and scrutiny to a market by increasing liquidity. Lower brokerage fees and commissions are just one byproduct. Most importantly, short sellers act as an external check on corporate malfeasance and weakness by exposing dark deeds to sunlight.
Wednesday, January 13, 2010
- ► 2011 (58)
- Agricultural Update: Corn's 2010 Outlook
- The Debts of the Spenders: US Supreme Court Rules ...
- The Debts of the Spenders: FDIC Considers Granting...
- The Debts of the Lenders: Why China Cut Bank Lendi...
- The Debts of the Lenders: China Allows Short Selli...
- The Debts of the Spenders: Bernanke vs the Taylor ...
- The Debts of the Spenders: How the USA is Becoming...
- The Debts of the Spenders: 50 States of Disunion?
- The Debts of the Lenders: 2 Year Note Recovers in ...
- ▼ January (9)
- ► 2009 (473)